Sunday, June 3, 2007

Shirt Folding Tutorial

No this isn't a tutorial on how to fold your laundry!

I'm going to SHOW you an EASY way of folding a shirt out of paper to use as an embellishment for Father's Day cards or wherever else you may need a paper shirt.

There are many different templates and instructions available on the internet. I have come across a few and Cat even sent me some diagrams she found on the internet (thanks Cat!).

But I have to say that they are so confusing and some of them don't even give you any measurements!

I'm a very visual learner and so I decided to make this tutorial so that it would be easy for everyone to follow.

As you read this post you may want to follow along with a scrap piece of paper or something from your recycling bin.

All you need is a piece of 4 x 6 paper - this can be patterned paper or solid - and something to make your creases (bone folder, popsicle stick, back of your scissors etc).

Note: When choosing your paper it doesn't matter if it's one side or double sided but I would stick to light weight paper like computer paper weight or patterned scrapbook paper. The heavier paper like SU! cardstock are great for the mats and bases but a bit hard to fold and get nice creases.

Start off with your 4 x 6 paper - I chose pink!

The first step is to fold your paper in 1/2 lengthwise, crease it and then unfold it.

Then you fold in each side - to meet the centre crease. You now have a piece with 2 folded sides (folded into the middle) that measures 2 inches wide by 6 inches long.


Flip your piece over so that the open folds are on the bottom and the solid face is on top.

We're going to make the collar folds next. I like to work with the bottom edge and fold it up about 1/2 inch.

Then I flip the paper over so that the open fold side is facing up and the 1/2 inch fold is at the top of the piece.

The next step is to fold down the top corners and make your collar. Do this on both sides.

Now we're going to fold the sleeves. With the collar folds facing you take the bottom edge (one side at a time) flare out and crease.


To finish off the shirt you simply take the bottom edge and flip it up and under the collar points.

Crease the bottom so that it lays flat. The collar points hold your shirt together and there shouldn't be a need for glue.


Now doesn't it look like a perfectly pressed shirt? I wish ironing were this easy!

To make a tie or bow tie just cut some scraps to finish it off. For the tie knot I like to cut a pentagon shape rather than a circle and glue that on a strip of paper for the tie.

I hope that this tutorial made sense to you. If not just leave me a comment!

12 comments:

  1. Looks simple enough. I am going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love it!
    Thank you so much.

    Smiles,
    NG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cute! Thank you for sharing this, I'll have to try it for my fathers day card this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll try this. It looks so cute with the patterned paper. I just found an iris folding pattern for a shirt that I think I'll try too. Here's the website -
    http://www.irisfolding.circleofcrafters.com/patternofthemonth.html

    Sorry I don't know how to insert it as a link. Thanks for the tutorial. Pictures always help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I thought I was a total idiot as I couldn't get it right just reading the directions. I, too, am a visual learner. I'm linking you on my blog, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have the directions to this, but can't seem to find it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for doing this! I couldn't "get" it using two other online tutorials. I definitely needed the photo of the collar part. Can't say thanks enough!

    D'Arcy Montalvo
    Stamper in Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie,
    This is the best tutorial on the shirt card that I've seen. I'd like to post a link to your site for our audience of a local morning show here in Salt Lake City Utah, U.S. so they can know where to learn how to do this project:) Christina Nielson

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! It was so easy and looks darling! Thanks so much for sharing your great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This theme is simply matchless :), it is pleasant to me)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. it is a lovely shirt,elegant and easy for to do
    I love this idea much and i will practice it just now, Thank you for to share this idea for a man card

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for reminding. Think I'm going to check the rest of this blog out:)

    ReplyDelete